Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Take me out

We occasionally get stars in the restaurant. Today I waited on a baseball player who I won't name, but let's just say that he plays for one of the teams here, and they were just eliminated from the playoffs. And his last name rhymes with "Cheater."

Very nice man, very polite, tipped 40% on the check.

I have a standing rule that whenever I wait on celebrities I treat them like any other customer. I pretend they're regulars, and that's why I know their face. I don't use their names and I don't fawn over them. I assume they just want to eat their crab cakes in peace like a normal person.

Well today I had to ask Mr. Cheater for his autograph, because the owner wanted it for his son. I felt like a tool. Why couldn't the owner walk up and introduce himself? He is owner of a multi-million dollar business, and head of a multi-billion dollar real estate enterprise, after all, you'd think he could do the deed for himself. But no, he must send in the $4.35/hour peon to do his groveling for hm. I felt like I had been asked to detail his SUV.

But I nabbed an autograph for one of my buddies, since I had to go there anyway.

2 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

while wiping down his table, did you also wipe the smug-meister grin off of his face?

12:56 PM  
Blogger christopher said...

HA! I think he's still allowed to be smug. He is one of the best playing, and it isn't really his fault that A-Hole joined the team and they haven't been able to win in the post-season since.

Being so far away from my beloved Mariners, I've been cheering on the Mets.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home