Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The USB Cable of My Discontent

When I first moved to New York I needed a USB cable for my new printer. I was going to be reading stage directions at an Off-Broadway company the next day and needed to print resumés. There was a blizzard bearing down on the city, so the only thing I could think of was to go to one of the dozen or so electronic shops in Times Square. The cable set me back almost $50. As I got to know the city better, such things didn't happen anymore. Or at least less frequently. For one thing, I learned there was a Radi0 Sha¢k two blocks from my subway stop, if only I had turned right instead of left when looking for an open shop.

Yesterday I took my first bike ride through the streets of Los Angeles. There is no better way to get to know your city than to bike through it. And contrary to what one might imagine considering Californians, um, unique approach to driving, riding on some of Los Angeles' busier thoroughfares doesn't engender a feeling of impending death.

What's the connection? Ah. while on this ride (which started at UCLA, went to the catering service for my paycheck, tot he bank, and then home - about 14 miles) I dropped my keys. Not once, but twice. The first time was not a big deal. While unlocking Casper from a rack on campus, I apparently let the keys fall to the ground and didn't notice as I rode off for coffee. Fortunately I wasn't very far away when I realized what I'd done. Unfortunately I noticed because I went to unlock my baby and didn't have the key. A short walk reunited my keys to my pocket, with a stern admonition not to do that again.

An hour later I'm unlocking Casper from a pole outside a paint store (getting swatches for the great apartment painting project). Except I'm not, because I again can not find the keys. I left them on the sidewalk outside the bank five miles away. I had to take a cab back to the bank for the keys, and back to the paint store, give the cabbie $17 including tip, and then ride like hell on wheels to get to the apartment in time to go to work.

I do know the city a bit better now. I also know that my brain is a little less sharp than it used to be. At least back in NYC I was able to take the USB cable and tie it into a noose - a little art project to remind me to be careful. Maybe I should tie my keys to the cable and carry that around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home